P.O.S.H.
New Flea Market Finds Hotel Silver Tabletop Kitchen Accessories Jewelry Kids Close

Vintage Stevens Hotel Silverplate Ice Bucket

Vintage Stevens Hotel Silverplate Ice Bucket

$325.00

From the illustrious former Stevens Hotel of Chicago, a handsome Vintage Silverplate Swing Handle Ice Bucket bearing the hotel's impressive eagle crest. It is in excellent condition and recalls the glorious past of one of Chicago's grandest hotels.


Strictly one-of-a-kind and subject to prior sale. In very good original condition. 5 1/2" tall. 9 1/2" tall with handle raised. 5 7/8" diameter at top of bucket.

Learn More About The Stevens Hotel

The Stevens Hotel, located on Michigan Avenue overlooking Grant Park, was designed in the Beaux-Arts architecture style and opened in 1927.  At the time, the Stevens was the largest hotel in the world. The hotel was developed by James W. Stevens, his son Ernest, and their family who ran the Illinois Life Insurance Company and owned the Hotel La Salle also located in Chicago. The Stevens Hotel featured 3,000 guest rooms, cost approximately $30 million to construct, and boasted of a virtual "City Within a City". The Stevens housed its own bowling alley, barber shop, rooftop miniature golf course (the "High-Ho Club"), movie theater, ice cream shop, and drug store. The first registered guest was Vice President Charles G. Dawes and the hotel has housed virtually every United States President since its opening.

The Great Depression ruined the Stevens family, and the Stevens Hotel went bankrupt. The government took the hotel into receivership, and by the late 1930s, it was valued at only $7 million. In 1942 the U.S Army purchased the Stevens Hotel for $6 million for use as barracks and classrooms for the Army Air Force during WWII. The Stevens housed over 10,000 air cadets during this time, who utilized the Grand Ballroom as their mess hall. In January 1944, the War Department closed a deal to sell the property for $4.91 million to a bricklayer turned private businessman named Stephen Healy. A year later, as World War II drew to a close, Conrad Hilton purchased the hotel from Healy. The board of directors changed the name of the hotel, branding it after Conrad Hilton himself in November 1951. Conrad used his Hollywood connections to entice film stars, politicians and royalty to the hotel.

The Conrad Hilton hotel was showing its age, and some were considering its possible demolition by the 1970s. However, in 1984, the hotel closed for what was then the most expensive hotel renovation ever undertaken, at $185 million. The hotel was shut down for over a year as the 3,000 guest rooms were rebuilt into 1,544 larger and more elegant rooms. 600 of the rooms were converted to double sized rooms with two adjoining bathrooms. The newly renamed Chicago Hilton and Towers was reopened on October 1, 1985. It is the third-largest hotel in Chicago by number of guest rooms; and it has the largest total meeting and event space of any Chicago hotel. The hotel is also home to Chicago's largest and most expensive room: the Conrad Hilton suite is a 5,000-square-foot suite that encompasses two floors. The suite costs more than $7,000 per night, and is appointed with 16-foot lake view windows, 18th-century tapestries, a baby grand piano, a billiard table, and three balconies.

May we also recommend…

Vintage Stevens Hotel Silverplate Ice Bucket Vintage Stevens Hotel Silverplate Ice Bucket Vintage Stevens Hotel Silverplate Ice Bucket Vintage Stevens Hotel Silverplate Ice Bucket Vintage Stevens Hotel Silverplate Ice Bucket
P.O.S.H 2018 all rights reserved


| Online Policies
Site By Aeolidia