Learn More about Mappin & Webb
In 1810, Joseph Mappin founded an engraving business in Sheffield, England. The business was eventually passed down to one of his sons (also named Joseph) who carried it on as a producer of cutlery. Upon his death in 1841, the firm was managed by his son Frederick Mappin, who brought his brothers into the business, naming the firm Joseph Mappin & Co.
In 1846, the business changed its name to Mappin Brothers. Its partners were the brothers, Frederick, Edward, Joseph and John Mappin. In 1850, John left Mappin Brothers to establish a new firm originally trading under the name Mappin & Co, but changing its name in 1863 to Mappin & Webb to avoid confusion between the two firms.
Mappin Brothers continued to operate until 1902 when it merged with Mappin & Webb to eventually become the premier silversmith of England.