Found at a market in London, this gorgeous Antique Pink Rose Pitcher makes for a romantic addition to any collection.
Manufactured by one of England's historic potters - George Jones & Sons which was once located in Stoke-on-Trent, England. In business from 1862 to 1951, this pottery studio was known for their exquisite designs and wonderful workmanship.
This magnificent antique pitcher is a perfect example of their work. The pitcher is bottom-stamped with the George Jones & Sons name, as well as the Victorian Registration Diamond which indicates the date the pitcher was produced: September 16th, 1881.
The bright white body of the pitcher is decorated in George Jones' "Briar" pattern with a delicate leafy wild rose branch in full bloom, glazed the dreamiest shade of blushing pink. Finished with a gorgeous pink and gold handle, we know you'll love this wonderfully Victorian pitcher. Whether used as a pretty vase or as a pitcher, this fabulous piece will be a beloved addition to your home.
One-of-a-kind and subject to prior sale. In very good antique condition. Measures 7 1/2" H x 5 1/2" W including handle.
Learn More About George Jones & Sons
Porcelain and earthenware produced by George Jones rivals that of the great potters of Minton and Wedgwood in both design and workmanship. Jones was the youngest of nine children from a family with no connection to the pottery industry, but at the age of fourteen, he was taught by the very best when he began a seven year apprenticeship with Minton. Upon completion in 1844, George worked as a traveling salesman for Wedgwood and learned the art of selling fine porcelain.
By 1850 he had established himself as a successful china merchant in Stoke-on-Trent and in 1862, armed with years of good experience, George Jones entered the pottery manufacturing business. By 1873 Jones' eldest two sons, Frank Ralph and George Henry Jones had become familiar with the business and joined their father in partnership. The firm was retitled George Jones & Sons and the name “Crescent” was registered as the trademark of the new company. At the time, the firm employed 590 skilled workers.
Following George Jones’ death in 1893, the family firm saw continued success until the early twentieth century. The company was sold to managing director Walter Bakewell in 1929 and by 1951 the trade name George Jones & Sons was no longer used. The Crescent works was demolished in 1959 after nearly a century of ceramic production.
George Jones won a medal at the Paris Exhibition in 1867 and received acclaim at exhibitions in London (1871), Vienna (1873) and Sydney (1876).